January was full of dreaming and planning; of trying new things and meeting new people; of challenging myself and finding routine. Join me for a glimpse of January in retrospect.
As of this morning, I have been active 23 of the 30 days in January. I’ll add at least one more tonight or tomorrow. Including my walks to/from work (I didn’t count days that I walked without an actual workout in my total days), that equals right about 33 hours. Workouts ranged from HIIT, weights, treadmill, row machine, yoga and body weight. Sometimes I impress myself.
Things I learned this month:
• I heart the row machine. Used it for the first time a few weeks ago and I’m hooked. It helps that I have a cousin who rowed in high school and college, so I keep texting her for tips and to get feedback on my times and such. It’s a great cardio alternative AND it’s almost always available at the gym. #winning
• My favorite way to use the treadmill right now is half running, half uphill hiking. I’m loving a tempo-pace run at 2-3% incline and a hike at 9% incline. Usually I’ve alternated 10:00 intervals, but if I’m getting bored I switch to 5:00. P.S. those high-incline walk intervals burn major calories!
• Been my favorite, still my favorite. Melissa Bender is the BEST for HIIT workouts. You will not convince me otherwise. I do one of hers almost every morning. Get it.
I have been so social this month I can’t even stand it. You must understand that I am a well-established introvert so this is a big deal. I reconnected with one an old high school friend who lives in DC now. I went to a professional networking happy hour and made a friend. (Like, a real friend. It’s Facebook official and she’s coming over for the Superbowl). I made new friends with a couple moving in to our neighborhood. I visited with a cousin about to move to DC NEXT WEEK when she was here house hunting.
Seriously, I deserve a sweet treat for all the socializing I’ve done.
I also decided to have more fun with Instagram (psst! follow me!). This involves posting more consistently and being much pickier about what I post so that I really like my feed.
Photos this month:
You guys, I need help. The sweets are killing me. Not including Superbowl Sunday and Valentine’s day, I’m swearing off sweet treats for February. Yes yes, it’s a short month and I’m skipping a couple days, but still! It’s going to be SO HARD! I need a sugar detox stat and while I’ll hate it, my body hates me more right now.
Food I’m loving this month:
• I can’t get enough soup. I’ve made some at least once a week, probably more. I kept it interesting and didn’t repeat any and I have a partner who also loves soups so I get zero complaints. It’s the middle of my most hated season; comforting soup is my way of coping.
• I feel like I actually took control of my snacking ways and that feels awesome. Deserts not included of course. I’m a prolific snacker who prefers to nibble in place of actual meals. I’m keeping almonds in my office for mid-morning munching, I make green protein smoothies with more regularity and I’ve done better about eating real dinner. #success
Thanks for reading, friends!