Breaking up with food

After a tumultuous relationship, it’s finally time.

I’ve never really enjoyed food. I made it work because, well, I have to. Going vegetarian was easy because I didn’t like or eat a lot of meat to begin with. I distinctly remember when I starting disliking cheese as a kid; I love certain cheeses now, but I’m not an all–around cheese person. Eggs have never been my favorite (as a kid I was scandalized to be eating a baby bird).

Breakfast meal. Stock Exchange. {PilotingPaperAirplanes.com}I like cooking fine; don’t love it. I don’t overly enjoy sitting down for a meal. It feels like a waste of time to me. I’ve been known to just forget to eat. The quality time with people is important, but meals have never been about the food. I love snack things like granola bars, nuts or fruit that I eat on the go.

Now, there are certain meals I could die for, of course. And sweets… don’t get me started on good sweets. Ice cream = love. My annual Easter bag of jelly beans… um, don’t touch. I lust after a good bar of dark chocolate – add organic and fair trade, you might lose a finger if you take some.

The point is, I look at food in one of two ways: a chore or a naughty treat

Anyone else? Just me? Hm k.

I blame Kris Carr for nudging me down this break up path. It started when I read Crazy Sexy Diet and began evaluating my relationship with food. I learned to consider food in terms of pH balance, glycemic index and “cleanness.” I’ve noticed how what I eat directly affects my mood, my energy and my emotional balance.

The buzz term is food is fuel. It was a “duh you dummy” – er, I mean a positive “ah ha!” – moment when I really thought about this. I can now replace food = chore with food = fuel. Big difference in my head. Good fuel makes my body and mind run right. Good fuel = good runs = good sleep = good mood Larissa.

Goodbye old outlook on food. Hello new, smarter, positive, more productive relationship.

• Treats are not my enemy, downfall, failure, insert–more–negatives–words–here.

They are meant to be enjoyed and savored, and I don’t need a lot for that to happen. The last few months I have “let” myself be less careful about treats, and I haven’t gained a bit. It’s much less mental stress to eat something I like in moderation than refuse to eat it. Best part: guilt free because it’s “allowed”. Let me have my cake and enjoy it to, thank you very much.

• Bread. Stock Exchange. {PilotingPaperAirplanes.com}Sugar is in everything.

So if I have an Asiago bagel with light cream cheese, or lasagna with white pasta… that’s my sweet treat of the day right there. I’ve sworn off nearly everything white. This wasn’t hard, as we never purchase white pasta, white bread, white rice, etc. And we make our own bread with organic wheat flour and no sugar. Cereal breaks this rule but we almost exclusively buy organic and I don’t eat cereal every day.

• I don’t need a lot of dairy.

I feel better when animal products are just not in my diet all that much. I swapped my beloved yogurt for sugar–free apple sauce and haven’t looked back once. I evaluated what I was eating with cheese and realized there were plenty times cheese added little to nothing to my meal. I still eat it when I want it, but only when it’s my favorites (i.e. shredded cheese on a veggie tortilla, meh, didn’t matter. Feta on my salad, love it). Eggs happen maybe once a month. I would rather eat an occasional meal of good, organic chicken and less meaningless dairy.

• Green smoothies make my insides happy.

I know, I know; someday maybe I’ll stop talking about these. Everything just feels and works better when I drink a good, clean smoothie. Move over, genetically modified, overly–processed, chemical–filled powder protein supplements with the really dumb looking muscle–flexing man plastered on the label. I mean seriously. People actually buy that stuff?? So many better products out there.

• Eat when I feel hungry.

I’ve been upping my mileage and thus upping my appetite the last few weeks. Jon has been like, “you’re still hungry? You don’t normally eat this much.” By “this much” he means what equates a snack for him. *Blasted fast–metabolism people…*

• Eat what works for my body.

I am not blessed with a fast metabolism. After years of a hate–filled negative relationship, I’m finally able to move on. I am blessed with my metabolism and I need to learn how to best treat it. I’ve come leaps and bounds in learning to eat for my body and I still have a lot to learn.

The result? I feel better, physically and mentally. I’m stronger, faster and more balanced.

Learn to eat for your body. Make that the goal. Begin to accept how it works and feed it things that make it feel good, and eventually, we might learn to fully love our bodies. Let’s get rid of phrases like cheat meal and start saying things like my well–deserved and much–appreciated treat of the day. Yes?

Have you ever worked through a “food breakup?” How have you changed the way to look at food? Any strategies or lessons that really helped you?

Like what you read? Share with a friend!

Tags: ,

12 Responses to Breaking up with food

1. Casey Voight says:

Great post! I love the dark chocolate too. I find it is so hard to always know what is good for you to eat. I struggle with grocery shopping in that is takes me hours of reading labels and getting frustrated before I finally check out with a cart of odd vegetables and bazaar items from the health isle. The result; boo-hoo comments from my husband and son – it’s a loose-loose sometimes.

• LarissaDaltonS says:

True that. This stuff takes work! We’ve developed our favorite staples, and occasional meal planning helps. But then it’s just to two of us and we keep our meals simple. You at more “food work” at home than I do!

2. Daniel Neff says:

Great post. Most people have no idea how important a good diet is. I learned 13 years ago when I had cancer and almost died from it. Conventional medicine was failing me and I was recommended a last-ditch procedure which fails most people. (bone marrow transplant). I was told it was my only hope. After receiving a nudging in my spirit that the BMT was not the right path for me, I was presented with and followed a natural cure which features a strict, whole food diet (no processed food, no white flour, no white sugar). 13 years later I am alive and well. I have to admit, I don’t follow the diet as closely now, but I eat MUCH healthier than I did before cancer.
    As a matter of fact, writing the book about my experience (God Said Not Yet! One Man’s Experience with “Terminal” Cancer) is what got me interested in writing and I haven’t looked back.

• LarissaDaltonS says:

You story sounds similar to Kris Carr’s, the author of Crazy Sexy Diet. She went into remission primarily from changing her diet as well. I feel like this should be fairly basic stuff, but we are simply not taught how to eat! The Standard American Diet is so terrible, it’s no wonder we have serious problems with disease and obesity. Simple changes can make a difference and I hope stories – and books! – like yours can push people in a healthier direction.

3. Bingo. Perfectly said. And great eating plans!

I’m not blessed with a fast metabolism either, so I feel like I’ve always had to be a little more careful than everyone around me.

• LarissaDaltonS says:

I completely relate. It gets very tiring to have to work so much more than family and some of my closest friends. *Sigh* It’s a tough lesson, but I’m learning to accept it about my body.

4. yep! i used to think a lot about what i ate and now i don’t. not in a dumb way, but just in a non-obsessive way. i’ve gained 10 (healthy) pounds and shaved 30 minutes off my marathon time by fueling right, finally!

• LarissaDaltonS says:

Wow, congrats on the marathon time difference! That’s a huge change! The link to what you eat is so simple, and yet I feel like I’m just figuring out more details.

5. […] Breaking Up with Food: This is a wonderful blog post about the way we look at our food. Wouldn’t it be better to look at food as fuel, rather than some type of enemy that is going to ruin our appearance if we eat too much of it? The post includes tips on how to change your thought of food, and it is well worth a read if dieting is something you have struggled with in the past. […]

6. Abby says:

I’m reading Crazy Sexy Diet right now! What are some of your favorite green smoothies?

• LarissaDaltonS says:

Ooh, do you love it? Her writing style is so fun, and that book seriously changed my life. Or at least set me on a path of rethinking my food. 🙂

My standard smoothie is spinach/kale, cucumber, yellow pepper, 1/3 of a banana and a handful of frozen fruit & some lemon juice. I’ve started adding just a tad of apple cider vingar too (really strong, but good for you). I also like them pretty watery and not thick, so I’m generous with the water.

What’s your favorite? I haven’t experimented a ton; I just make what I know I like.

7. […] treats. Life is too short for that. One of my favorite posts I’ve ever written about about breaking up with food.  What was the biggest struggle when you started your fitness journey? Education, for sure. I […]